Namirembe Cathedral in Uganda
Namirembe Cathedral is the oldest diocese in the province of the church of Uganda and it is in the central location. It started in 1897 as the diocese of Uganda until it acquired the Name “ Namirembe Diocese” in 1960. It covers the district of Wakiso, Kalangala and parts of Kampala city. The cathedral comprises of one cathedral deanery, six Archdeaconaries, sixty parishes and 342 local churches (congregations).
Namirembe Cathedral is a Jesus-loving, Bible-believing, Spirit-filled Anglican Church engaged in the mission of Jesus Christ in today’s world. There are over 8 million members. The church is across in 34 dioceses to serve each region of the country. With its rich and firm spiritual history, it has offered and continues to offer a dynamic and vital faith to peoples around the world. Already, this is a part of Anglican history in Uganda. In 1893 Canon Apollo Kivebulaya was the first to take the Gospel to the people of Eastern Congo.
Ugandans such as William and Sala Nagenda, Erica Sabiiti, Festo Kivengere, Janani Luwum, John Wilson, Misaeri Kauma, Edward Muhima, and the current Archbishop, Henry Luke Orombi; have witnessed before world leaders. In 1996, John Sentamu; a Ugandan Anglican, was consecrated a Bishop in the Church of England; first as the Bishop of Birmingham, and now as the Archbishop of York.